Resource Center Your Complete Guide on Purchasing and Implementing an AED Program

Virginia State AED Law

 Summary of Requirements
A licensed physician shall supervise the defibrillation program, including personnel training, local emergency medical services coordination, protocol approval, automated external defibrillator deployment strategies, and an equipment maintenance plan and records.
CPR/AED Training
All operators of the automated external defibrillator shall be required to receive and successfully complete training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and in the use of automated external defibrillators in a course which has been approved by the Board of Health.
AED-Check.jpg  EMS Notification Must register AED with the Board of Health.
AED-Check.jpg Maintenance Program
The defibrillator shall be maintained and tested in compliance with the manufacturer’s operational guidelines and any Board regulations and written records of such maintenance and testing shall be kept.
Notification of Use
No Current Legislation


 Good Samaritan Protection
Property Owner
Physician Trainer
No Current Legislation

VA Code § 8.01-225 - 2007

Provides Good Samaritan protection for use of an AED and establishes guidelines for AED programs.


 Laws / Legislation
Date Summary
 VA Code § 22.1-253.13:4 2016  Beginning with first-time ninth grade students in the 2016-2017 school year, requirements for the standard and advanced diplomas shall include a requirement to be trained in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the use of AEDs, including hands-on practice of the skills necessary to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
VA Code 6 § VAC 15‐40‐405  2011 There shall be a minimum of one AED unit available in penitentiary facilities. All security staff shall receive training in the operation of the unit. This requirement provides for enhanced First Aid during a crisis medical situation
VA Admin Code
§ 60-20-110
2005 Outlines AED requirements for dental offices 

The information posted on our website is not intended as legal advice and may contain inaccurate or incomplete information. We encourage you to contact your state representative should you require more information.