Resource Center Your Complete Guide on Purchasing and Implementing an AED Program

Ohio State AED Law

 Summary of Requirements

Must consult with a physician regarding compliance with the requirements.

CPR/AED Training
A person who possesses an automated external defibrillator shall encourage expected users to complete successfully a course in automated external defibrillation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation that is offered or approved by the American heart association or another nationally recognized organization.
AED-Check.jpg  EMS Notification A person who possesses an automated external defibrillator may notify an emergency medical services organization of the location of the defibrillator.
AED-Check.jpg Maintenance Program
Must maintain and test the defibrillator according to the manufacturer's guidelines;
 AED-Check.jpg Notification of Use
An emergency medical services system shall be activated as soon as possible.


 Good Samaritan Protection
Property Owner
Physician Trainer
No Current Legislation
No Current Legislation

OH Rev Code § 2305.235 - 2015

Provides Good Samaritan protection for use of an AED and establishes guidelines for AED programs.


 Laws / Legislation
Date Summary
 OH Rev Code § 3313.6023 2016 Outlines a comprehensive plan for training, certification, and credentialing of cardiac care providers in the use of AEDs.
OH Rev Code § 3313.6021  2016  Beginning with the 2017-2018 school year, each school operated by a school district which offers grades nine to twelve shall provide instruction in CPR and the use of an AED. All persons employed by a school district shall receive training in the use of an automated external defibrillator in accordance with that section.
OH Rev Code § 3314.16  2004 Grants Good Samaritan protection for UNTRAINED users. 
OH Rev Code § 3313.717  2004 Outlines AED requirements for schools.
OH Rev Code § 3701.85  2001 Outlines instructions to ensure the public health and safety for a person that acquires an AED.

The information posted on our website is not intended as legal advice and may contain inaccurate or incomplete information. We encourage you to contact your state representative should you require more information.