Resource Center Your Complete Guide on Purchasing and Implementing an AED Program

Alabama State AED Law

 Summary of Requirements
Must have involvement of a licensed physician or medical authority in the site's AED program to ensure compliance with training, notification, and maintenance.
CPR/AED Training
Expected defibrillator users should receive appropriate training in an American Heart Association, American Red Cross, or other nationally recognized cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course and AED, or an equivalent nationally recognized course.
AED-Check.jpg  EMS Notification A person or entity who acquires an AED shall notify the local emergency communications center or dispatch center of the existing location and type of AED. 
AED-Check.jpg Maintenance Program
The AED must be maintained and tested according to the manufacturer's operational guidelines.
 AED-Check.jpg Notification of Use
Any person who renders emergency care or treatment of a person in sudden cardiac arrest by using an AED must activate the emergency medical services system as soon as possible.


 Good Samaritan Protection
Property Owner
Physician Trainer
No Current Legislation

A​L Code § 6-5-332 - 2011

Provides Good Samaritan protection for use of an AED and establishes guidelines for AED programs.


 Laws / Legislation
Date Summary

420 AAC § 5-4-.04

2015  Outlines the AED requirements for an assisted living facility.
 AL Code § 6-5-332.3 2015

Outlines the instructions to ensure the public health and safety for a person that acquires an AED.

AL Code § 16-1-45

2009  Outlines the AED requirements for a school.
420 AAC 5-20-.04 2008  Outlines the AED requirements for a specialty care assisted living facility.
420 AAC 5-​5-.03 2007  Outlines the AED requirements for all end stage renal disease treatment and transplant centers.
AL Code § 22-1-12 2002  Outlines a comprehensive plan for training, certification, and credentialing of cardiac care providers in the use of AEDs.

The information posted on our website is not intended as legal advice and may contain inaccurate or incomplete information. We encourage you to contact your state representative should you require more information.